Monday, March 30, 2009
Saturday, March 28, 2009
(ignore the big spot on his shirt from a misguided blob of applesauce)
She purchased them at A.C. Moore for a dollar and said that there were a few other animals to choose from. I think they would make cute party favors for an animal themed party, or maybe a non-candy item for an Easter basket.
They are made of that craft foam material, but have held up since Wednesday, which is pretty good for something Katie has her hands on.
Thanks Mom, and happy Saturday to you all!
Friday, March 27, 2009
There are tons of simple crafts in these just waiting to be cut and pasted by my craft-loving son, as well as worksheets and activities to do. Maybe Katie will also join in the fun, since there are some books for two-year-olds.
I am so thankful. God is good.
And a load of free books makes for a fabulous Friday.
Thursday, March 26, 2009
Tuesday, March 24, 2009
Monday, March 23, 2009
My mom would make snickerdoodles with me when I was a little girl. She would give me one plate of cinnamon and sugar, and one plate of colored sugar for rolling. I loved shaping the dough into balls, rolling them in brightly colored sugar, and then watching the result of my play turn into a yummy treat.
Saturday, March 21, 2009
- Aw, you have a boo-boo? Where?
- You're okay.
- Please wait.
- Katie, get down from there!
- Not right now.
- Where is Katie's cup?
- Where is Katie?
- Why is Katie crying?
- That's neat, Joey. (I am required to view and comment on many drawings every day)
- Stop that.
- Katie, leave Joey alone.
- Joey, leave Katie alone.
- Play nice.
- Stay in the backyard.
- Do you have to go potty?
- Good job!
- I love you, honey.
Thursday, March 19, 2009
These see the works of the LORD, and his wonders in the deep.
For he commandeth, and raiseth stormy wind, which lifteth up the waves thereof.
They mount up to the heaven, they go down again to the depths: their soul is melted because of trouble.
They reel to and fro, and stagger like a drunken man, and are at their wit's end.
Then they cry unto the LORD in their trouble, and he bringeth them out of their distresses.
He maketh the storm a calm, so that the waves thereof are still.
Then are they glad because they be quiet; so he bringeth them unto their desired haven.
Oh that men would praise the LORD, for his goodness, and for his wonderful works unto the children of men!
The Lord has been speaking to me through this passage in the past few days--stepping out of my comfort zone, seeking Him in my trials, experiencing the calm of His presence, and rejoicing in His wonderful working in my life.
I am thankful for this passage. I am thankful for the haven of Christ.
Wednesday, March 18, 2009
If Joey taught a class it would be "How to unknowingly change
music lyrics to make no sense at all."
First lesson: Winnie the Pooh
Winnie the Pooh, Winnie the Pooh,
Jumpin' on a cobby all stuck with fluff,
Winnie the Pooh, Winnie the Pooh,
Silly in a willy ol' bear.
Class over. You are dismissed.
Monday, March 16, 2009
I woke up moments later.
Do you realize how weird I am, people? In a dream where my life and the lives of many loved ones are in danger, a second after I realize we are all okay, my most joyful thought is that I will have something cool to blog about.
Am I that desperate for excitement? Are the dishes and laundry leaving me that wanting for a thrill? Do I need a life or death experience to keep you coming back to read about my days, or will my simple life be enough?
I hope so. Because it might not be thrilling, but my life leaves me tired enough at the end of the day without running away from rushing walls of water.
Saturday, March 14, 2009
- I think I may have been transported by time machine from last Saturday to now. (That is my creative way of saying "time flies.")
- I have just finished cooking a few meals-- some for tonight, and some so I won't have to cook on Sunday. I do not understand people who have big Sunday meals. It is the day of the week I least want to cook. So while the kids were napping, I cooked away. It was quite enjoyable.
- Speaking of children napping, Katie is fighting hers so very badly. She still really needs a nap, and when she does finally fall asleep, she will stay asleep for about 3 hours. But she does not want to fall asleep. She sits and talks, and then throws everything out of the crib, and then cries for whatever she wants that is now on the floor. It is a bit frustrating. I do not recall Joey ever fighting the nap until this past year when he began to not need it everyday. I am not quite sure what to do with her - sweet, darling girl.
- Joey produced his first "invented spelling" today. KFE=coffee. I was thrilled! We have only been learning the sounds of the letters through everyday exposure to print and the alphabet, and just a few ABC crafts--no formal phonics lessons at all, so I was quite shocked. I am also thrilled because, well, the first word he "spelled" was coffee. And I am sure you know that coffee is the sweet nectar of life.
- Speaking of coffee, I ran out of my beloved beverage this morning, so I got my caffeine from tea, and it is a sorry excuse for coffee. It is. Sorry, all you tea drinkers. I just love, enjoy, need, must have my coffee!
- If you have the Better Homes and Gardens New Cook Book, (you know the one that is red and whited checked) you should make the Buttermilk Coffee Cake recipe. It is so yummy! I ate way more coffee cake this week than one girl should. Anyway, I received that cook book for my bridal shower, and time and again it has come through for me. I get a lot of my recipes from allrecipes.com, but this cook book has given me good results with quick breads, main dishes, and lot of tasty desserts.
- This week I spent two days visiting with friends. The Lord is good. I am thankful for both the ladies I was was able to spend time with. I am able to learn so much from both of their lives, and I praise the Lord He gave me these sweet times of fellowship this week. It really was a treat, since I don't visit with friends very often. God loves me, and cares for me, and I am thankful for the vessels of His blessings these friends were to me.
- Lastly, I am just letting Spring know he better get here soon. He has one week to arrive, and if he doesn't show his warm, little face to Pennsylvania, he will be unfashionably late, and I just won't stand for it.
Have a great Saturday evening and a blessed Sunday everybody!
Wednesday, March 11, 2009
It is a subtle piece, titled "Soft & Dri". Using only deodorant and painted drywall, the artist conveys the comfort and calm that comes from dry armpits in a way that sets her apart from the other personal hygiene artists of her generation.
This unorthodox creation is displayed in my master bedroom, and has added just the character and flair it was missing.
Sunday, March 8, 2009
A lot of the memories that stick in my brain are the ones that involve the most joy. Not the most money, not the most fanfare, not even the most time and attention. It is the joy.
Before I put Katie to bed on her birthday, we took a few minutes to play with the ten, pink, helium-filled balloons Daddy brought home for her and placed in her room. She was thrilled to hold a bunch in her hands, and then release them to the ceiling. Again and again, she would watch them go up, up, up. She was happy. I was too.
While I gathered the strings of the balloons together one more time, the hope in my heart was that I would not forget this time with my two-year-old birthday girl. Later, when I went downstairs, I wrote it on my calendar so my brain wouldn't have the chance to forget. I am pretty sure the joy I experienced that night will make sure my heart never will.
Saturday, March 7, 2009
- I'm here.
- I am tired from 6 stores this morning with the kids, home for a quick lunch, out to the park, home again, play out back on the swings, put Katie to bed, drink coffee, clear brush in the lot next door, put Joey to bed, and make dinners.
- I love the warm weather because it gives me a reason to be outside where I can hide from everything that needs to be done inside.
- Have you tried the new candy bar called the Thingamajig? It is sister to the Whatchamacallit. I believe both are worthy of enjoying. 220 calories of happiness.
- We (the kids and I) are eating pizza for dinner tonight. We ate pizza for dinner last night. Homemade - cheap and pretty good, but pizza shops (real ones) still have a better crust.
- Katie is up from her nap and crying in her crib. She needs some mama love.
Wednesday, March 4, 2009
Happy second birthday, Katie. I love you forever!