Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Daddy love

As the children grow a little bit older and need their mommy a little bit less, it is a joy to see them fall in love with their daddy and to see their daddy loving them. A few evenings ago, I couldn't help but smile, as I heard the words of llama llama red pajama coming from Joey's bedroom as Adam was getting both kids ready for bed.

On New Year's day, Adam gave Joey a great day by building a fire together in the empty lot next to ours. As they sat by the fire, enjoying each other's company and conversation, I wished I could be an invisible and silent guest, so to hear Joey's heart as he only shares it with his daddy.




One evening in December, we had Christmas music playing, which Katie interprets as the sign to find some willing arms to pick her up and twirl around the living room. Katie found Adam that evening, and I watched with delight as she squealed and giggled in her daddy's arms, while he spun her about. I saw the smile on his face, the smile a child's laughter brings - pure joy. I could have watched that father-daughter dance forever. And I wished it was a moment I could have had with my Natalie. I wished I could have seen how much my five-year-old girl would be giggling and squealing as she danced with her daddy to a Christmas tune. I wished I could know how much she was going to completely fill up her daddy's heart.

These thoughts were on my mind as I went shopping for my Natalie ornament this year. You see, one little tradition I have to remember Natalie is to purchase an ornament every Christmas that makes me think of her. Every year as we decorate the tree and I pull out her ornaments from years past, and add this year's ornament to the tree, I have a way to "include" her in our Christmas activities. So as I stood in Hallmark, looking over this year's selection of Keepsake ornaments, I couldn't have been more pleased to find this one.





It is titled Dancing with Dad, and it is perfect, don't you think?
Daddy love -- it's a wonderful thing.

If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children, how much more shall your Father which is in heaven give good things to them that ask him?
Matthew 7:11

3 comments:

Katina said...

What a perfect ornament!!!

Dear Abbi said...

Such a sweet ornament!

Jackie said...

As much as Joey is a nut, I love being in 4&5's with him. Such a cut-up!