Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Abigail Adams

This week is a week of long work hours for my husband. It is not his desire to be at work all day, but sometimes it is just the nature of his business. When I lived closer to my parents, I would often stop over their house to fill the long evenings. Now that I am 25 minutes away and gas is a bit more pricey, I can't. So I am home with the kids.

I am a perfectly mediocre housekeeper, and these long hours provide me the time I need to catch up on the unfolded laundry and dirty dishes. I have become quite accustomed to having more time to do the tasks on my list. But on nights when I start pouting and complaining about my long day with the kids, I try to think about Abigail Adams.

Those wives of the revolution would be home for months or even years without their husbands. And they were home, without a car, or a cell phone, or the Internet. Just alone. They did what they needed to do.

I know that motherhood is hard work, but sometimes I just need to get tough and do what I need to do. God is constantly teaching me to be content "in whatsoever state I am in". I can't sit around all day thinking how my life would be easier if I had this, or if that was different. I need to shut my mind up and do my job.

In the middle of a long week this is the truth: I have a loving husband. I have two healthy, happy children. My home is comfortable. I do not live in a war ravaged country with concerns for my family's safety. I have a wonderful church and the means to get there every week. My pantry and fridge are full of food. This is a charmed life.

I am not fighting off small pox while my husband is states or oceans away. I am not waiting months to receive a letter to hear from my husband - I can text or call Adam whenever I miss him throughout the day. I don't live in fear of enemy soldiers marching down my street.

And I live with this eternal truth, as well:

Cast thy burden upon the LORD, and he shall sustain thee...
Psalm 55:22

So I'm thinking, if Abigail Adams can do it, then so can I.

1 comment:

Dear Abbi said...

Me too! I wanna be like AA too!! Great post!