Tuesday, November 30, 2010

the sauce

Photobucket

Around these parts, cranberry sauce is not a condiment. It is not a little smear of magenta dutifully placed on the side of your plate, but almost considered a sidedish. It rivals gravy as the perfect sauce for a roasted bird. Simple and homemade, with just a bit of sugar to sweeten the tart berries and some orange juice to brighten them.

I use the first of the three recipes found in this post, but I cut the sugar back even further to 1/2 cup and use a bit more orange juice and a little less water. And I don't use the orange peel anymore, because it is one less thing, and I don't miss the flavor at all. So I guess technically, I don't use that recipe, but a version all my own. But I love Smitten Kitchen and why not stop on over and see all the glorious things Deb cooks up.

Speaking of Smitten Kitchen, the other night right before bed, I read her post about sweet corn spoonbread which contains a link to an unbelievably cute photo of her son. While sleeping, I dreamt that I drove into New York City, knew where Deb lived, went to her place, she invited me in, let me hold her son, all which interrupted her baking a mint cake flavored with -- toothpaste. It was very weird. I was pleased when I woke up to find that the toothpaste cake was just a very bad dream.

Anyway, back to the cranberry sauce.
I put Joey and Katie to work making our double batch of sauce for Thanksgiving.
Photobucket

It's nice when your helper is cute.
What is not so nice is realizing how stained your daughter's shirt is in the photo you just posted.

In the fifteen minutes it took to change this
Photobucket

to this
Photobucket

the kids cracked themselves up making funny faces on the side of the pot.
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
If you haven't ever made your own cranberry sauce, you really should.
It is good to the last, sticky drop.
Photobucket

No comments: